Quilting By Design tells us that the new Tula Pink Butterfly Quilt pattern should be released by the end of December and that kits (for those who want them) will be available by mid-January, so we’re starting to plan our multi-guild Tula Pink Butterfly Quilt on-line sew-along.
Royal City Quilters’ Guild, Waterloo County Quilters’ Guild, and York Heritage Quilters Guild are partnering together for this sew-along, so you’ll get to meet members of these guilds, learn tips and tricks at the monthly sew-along meetings, and share your progress with fellow sew-along members.
For more information about how to sign up, get kits/patterns, etc., see the detailed FAQs below.
Make this one of your favourite 2022 quilting projects!
Tula Pink Butterfly Quilt Along FAQs!
When does the Tula Pink Butterfly Quiltalong start and what is the schedule?
Retailers expect the pattern to be released at the end of December. Quilting by Design, in New Hamburg, ON, anticipates having patterns and kits ready in mid-January. We are planning a kick-off meeting at 10 am on Saturday, January 8 with monthly meetings in the following months. All meetings are optional. We will publish a more detailed schedule once the pattern is released.
At our first meeting, even if the pattern and fabric kits aren’t yet in hand, we’ll discuss any questions you have about the quiltalong or quilting generally, including tips on getting organized for a sew-along. Anyone who is not already familiar with groups.io can take a tour of the service and we can give you suggestions about how to use it. This will set us up so we are ready to sew in February!
How would you describe this project?
The Butterfly quilt pattern is back by popular demand! The pattern is essentially a sampler quilt made of many different traditional quilt blocks arranged into a giant butterfly centered on a graphic chevron body. The new, revised pattern has been updated and expanded to include a complete fabric guide to replicate the cover quilt. Some of the pattern improvements include larger layout and sewing diagrams, quilting diagrams, updated sewing techniques, colouring page and two different center body options while still being the same great pattern that people love. The 8.5 in x 11 in, 32-page booklet is beautifully printed in full colour with gold foil butterflies on the cover. The pattern is designed for an intermediate level quilter, but we think beginners with a little experience will be successful with the support of the online community. This is a great patchwork technique builder incorporating strips, triangles and curves to create a dynamic and surprising quilt top.
This printed paper pattern is for a quilt that finishes 88 in x 94 in.
I have a copy of the original Tula Pink Butterfly Quilt pattern. Can I use it?
Yes. You will miss out on the new revisions but the original pattern is still an excellent project.
What is the Butterfly Quiltalong online community and how do I sign up?
- The Quiltalong organizers will use the online community to send Zoom invitations, tips, tricks, and other useful information to participants throughout the quiltalong. Participants can ask questions and share progress photos through the online community, too. Membership in the Butterfly Quiltalong online community is free.
- To join, send an email message to ButterflyQALfirstname.lastname@example.org
- You will receive a confirmation request message from Groups.io. (If you do not receive it, please be sure to check your junk mail folder)
- You must respond to that confirmation request to complete your subscription and join the group. You can unsubscribe at any time.
What are the requirements to participate?
To participate, you must purchase your own Tula Pink Butterfly Quilt pattern and be a member of one of the participating quilt guilds. You are not required to purchase a kit from our vendor partner. Feel free to pull from your own stash or source your fabric from a favourite local shop.
How do I order my pattern and fabric?
- The pattern will be available at the end of December from ihearttulapink.com or quilt shops. All participants must have their own pattern. You can purchase yours separately or as part of a kit.
- You have many options for fabric:
- Order a kit from our vendor partner, Quilting By Design in New Hamburg, ON: https://www.quiltingbydesign.ca/ They are offering two kit options:
- The complete kit costs $250 CAD plus applicable taxes and includes pattern, butterfly rainbow fabrics, background, top/bottom borders and binding.
- The butterfly only kit costs $175 CAD plus applicable taxes and includes pattern and butterfly rainbow fabrics. You will choose your own background, top/bottom borders and binding to make the quilt your won.
- Shipping is free or you can choose one of the pick-up options.
- You can pull fabric from your stash; or
- Purchase fabric of your own choosing
Is it too late to participate in the Butterfly Quiltalong?
No, it’s not too late. You are more than welcome to join us when you are ready. Order your pattern; arrange for your fabric; and sign up to join our Butterfly Quiltalong online community.
What skill level is recommended for this quilt?
With the support of our online community and virtual tutorials, this quilt is suitable for novice quilters who have completed one or two quilts. More experienced quilters may want to customize their quilt by substituting some of their favourite blocks or techniques.
Where can I find tips and tutorials to help me make this project?
Our monthly sew day sessions will be an excellent source for tips and tutorials. We’ve also collected advice from across the world wide web which we’re making available in our online community. And, of course, the Internet is a wealth of useful information.
How/Where can I share my progress?
Anywhere and any way you’d like! Our online community lets you send messages to others who are working on the Butterfly Quilt. You can upload photos to your own album and view photos others have submitted. You can also share progress on your social media accounts.
How do I get help?
The monthly Saturday Sew Day sessions will be an excellent source of help and advice. The online community also includes an email distribution list that lets you reach out to others working on the project. Please exercise your best judgement about when you should reach out for emergency help and when you can wait for the next Saturday Sew Day to ask for help.