Want to get involved? Here are a few ways that you can help out. No one person has to take care of everything in a function, many hands make light work! And you don’t need special skills (ok other than accounting!), we’re happy to provide any necessary training and guidance along the way. It’s a great way to meet nice people too!
Each of these functions has a key person who coordinates the activities and attends monthly Executive meetings.
When you check a box on the membership form, someone will contact you to discuss your involvement in more detail.
- Programs and Workshops – we are always looking for ideas for speakers you may have seen online or in person and techniques or art forms you would like to learn more about in workshops. This team selects our speakers, coordinates all the arrangements and hosts them at the meetings including a Q&A session. They also host workshops (generally on Zoom) and manage workshop registrations.
- Show and Share As a “white glove” person, you unfold and hold up our beautiful quilts that members bring to Show and Share as they are displayed on stage. Smaller items are pinned to the wall so members can take a closer look at them before the meeting and during the break. The key members of this group organize digital photos that we can share online during the meeting and then on our website.
- Our Library needs people to help sort and display books, assist at Library sales and depending on physical ability, help to transfer library items from drop off spots to the meeting venue. The Librarian reviews items offered for donation and manages the inventory.
- Our Community Quilting needs people to man the tables for members to pick up quilt tops and “sandwiches” – batting and backing included – to take home, quilt and return. Volunteers also assist at Community Quilt fabric sales held occasionally at meetings. There’s also an opportunity to host zoom sew alongs or act as a backup when our regular hosts are away.
- At our Membership table in the lobby, volunteers are available to answer any questions (I lost my name badge, etc.) and to welcome new members.
- Tech support – Now that our in-person meetings are “broadcast” via zoom, volunteers may use their phone or iPad to share certain parts of the meetings with the Zoom audience as set out in the meeting agenda, or generally be available to assist with any logistics that will help the hybrid meeting run smoothly. We also appreciate behind the scenes tech support for our software programs for membership renewals, mailing list, ticket sales, online payments, etc.
- Communications – we send out messages in many different formats – a monthly newsletter, weekly emails and regular updates on social media.
- Quilt Shows – every three years we present a large two-day quilt show and dozens of guild members help put it all together under the guidance of a quilt show chair. We do quilt intake, hanging, take down, returns, advertise the event, rent a venue, sell tickets in advance and at the door, manage vendor stalls, run our own member stall, run contests/raffles, and arrange for catering, the list goes on..
- Accounting – our Treasurer role manages all aspects of our finances and bookkeeping. We also link software programs to direct payments to our accounts and manage some cash at meetings.
- Secretary– this person takes minutes at our executive meetings and at our AGM, maintains our corporate records and does any necessary government filings.
- Vice President – this person is the right-hand person to the President and takes on that role as a next step. The VP manages the venue setup for meetings and attends executive meetings.
- I can provide a ride – if you check this box, other members may contact you directly if they see from the membership list that you are close by and can offer a ride to in-person meetings.
Additional information about the executive roles can be found on the Contact Us page of this website.